Concept4, Page 5 - "Buckley" Airgun

Details & Pictures Making the Airgun

Continued from Page 4. Showcasing the making of the airgun I
designed using Buckley's reservoir design as a base.

October 9, 2010

It is the thanksgiving long weekend in Canada and the wife is working nights. I
so I spent today and hopefully Monday working on this project. Setup and drilled
the remaining holes for mounting the valve, trigger and sear, and the spring retainer.

I setup the action block and used one corner as my reference as you can see in the
CNC screen using an edge finder. I used the CNC mill as it is faster to move to location
and have more tooling for then a manual. I used the CNC in manual mode and drilled all the
holes for mounting the valve body, the spring end holder, and trigger and sear holes.

Drilling the holes for mounting the spring retainer. I drilled through to get both sides
at the same time. Since the drill was sharp and using a high speed, I managed to get the
hole straight and accurate. I checked with a caliper and was about 0.001" out. Can't beat
that when things go well machining.

The trigger and sear holes , I used a center drill to get the holes marked and spotted. Using
a caliper I scribed a line at the location for the holes. Works great for aluminum and eventually
the action block will be milled to reduce the weight and scribed lines will be machined away.

On the hand grip frame all the mounting holes where chamfered.

The bolt has a slot milled into it and requires a set screw that guides it. The screw
is stainless steel and harder to lathe but works. Once lathed I had to grind and retap
the end so that it would thread into the hole. I still may have to lathe it down a little
more when I go to finish the action block to its correct width.

I assembled the grip frame and action and made the spring retainer cap. Monday I will try to
finish off a few more parts. Like to get the airguns firing soon and then finish them off.

October 11, 2010

On the Thanksgiving Monday I was able to work on the barrels and mounted the valve
on the action block. Here I show the lathing of the groove of the barrel and some milled
flats that the set screws will hold the barrel in place.

Here the valve is tapped. I did one hole at a time to ensure that the holes would line
after. The tapped holes are shallow as I did not want to break through to the valve and
have the possibility of loosing air or creating a danger.

I chamfered the holes to mount the valve and the spring holder on the front.

Here I show the air rifles as far as I with the build.

A couple of pictures the brass breech and the barrel with an O-ring seal.

Any feedback and suggestions related to this build are welcome.


Become a Patron!