back to homepage

Test Rifle Tryout - Dec 20, 2008


Test Rifle Page 1

I tried more lathed turned pellets today. Was trying to find away to make the
pellets quicker using a lathe. Tried an old CNC lathe, but I didn't have the
patients to keep going. I made one good pellet after about 1.5 hours
of programming and setup. I resorted back to using a manual lathe. The "neck"
kept break before I was done machining so I made it thicker. Wasn't a good idea
as it adds more weight to the pellets. Picture below the seven pellets in a row.
Picture beside are the spent pellets after impact.

It was interesting shooting the new pellets as they didn't group that well, the
first two hit the same hole and the third a flyer and the forth and fifth same
hole. I was using a gun vise to secure the rifle so I am sure that the gun was
fairly well supported between each shot. The weight of these pellets sure hit hard.

I switch to 40 CAL balls, swaged 5 and shot. Didn't group that well as you can
see below on the target (1.181") Next shot 3 balls not swaged, you will see
the group of .827" on the target. Thats at 56 feet, so multiplied by 3 would
be just under 2.5" at 50 yards (150 feet).

I tried a pellet from the last weeks lathing. Shot into a 2X4. You can see the
penetration at 50 feet. Went in 7/8" and pellet is 3/4" long. Thus far the
December 13th pellets seemed to work best so will make a mold to cast a few
similar designs and see how they group.



Test Rifle Tryout - Dec 13, 2008


This week I was wanting to test the rifle with something other then round ball.
To make a mold for some test shooting would take to long and not knowing what design
to go with I left it. During work, I remembered watching Mark Wahlberg in "The
Shooter" months ago and the line in which Wahlberg informs one of the guys that
the bullet would have to be be lathe turned, something like that anyway. So I thought
why not do this for air rifle as well? I can try different designs and see what is
accurate and what isn't. Only draw back with this is that is also very time consuming.

1st & 2nd Try


Check out the target below to see how well the machined bullets grouped. I think
the first four shots could have been tighter but I fired prematurely when I hadn't
positioned myself correctly. The second three shots are close, and two almost share
the same hole.

3rd Try

I wish I would have had more time for making a few more of these. I spun the lead at
high rpm and the bullets spin very true in the lathe. I then size them for the .387"
barrel. I wasn't very far away from the target maybe 25 feet. Because of previous
experience I knew that the bullets could go any direction if something went wrong. But as you
can see the bullets are grouping. Now need to try the 50 feet that I have at the shop
and a good support to keep the gun more stable. All in all the bullets seem to group
better then the round ball. Round ball I think works better with a slow twist 24:1 or
slower. I am using 1:16 twist. Note the size of the bullets compared to a .250" H&N
pellet or the 40 Cal muzzle ball.


A picture to show the loading and spent bullets. I reuse as much lead as I can
using old muzzle lead balls and pellets caught in the trap.


Test Rifle changes - Dec 2, 2008

As I mentioned in the update page, I had recently changed my test gun bolt
and milled a slot in the breech for easier loading. I was working on improving
the loading of the round ball. Getting the ball to fit the barrel rifling when
loading and not jamming when pushing the bolt into the breech. A small 3/16 pin
keeps the bolt locked in place.

Test Rifle changes- August 2008

The trigger that I first made was poor. It worked, but always felt surprised when
the gun was fired. So after searching for a few good designs I settled on the current
trigger design to try. It is a bit complicated for airguns. I need to find something
a little less complex. But it works well and has the 2 stage trigger. The trigger is set
manually. Notice the cocked and uncocked positions of each component.


Test Rifle - Nov 10/07

Having made my own barrel using the button rifling method, I was very eager to see
what kind of groups I would get. I sized a few #3 Hornady buckshot and started firing.
First few were horrible but I slowly got the group tighter. The sizing die and my
technique I am sure are a hinderance at the moment. Due to the sizing I had to load
the buckshot like a muzzleloader. It is to hard to just drop the sized round ball into
the breech, unless I take the time to make a new one for holding the ball in position
to match the sized area to the rifling when loaded.
Below are some pics of my results.

November 12, 2007

Having some time to think about rifle accuracy over the last day and reviewing
a website on accuracy I understand I am a long way away from perfect groupings.
There are so many things to consider when trying to make a rifle accurate that
it will take sometime to and knowledge to attain the accuracy of what other
airgun makers are achieving.

I think Mr. Gary Barnes says it best on his page on the topic of accuracy.
Mr.Barnes has mastered the art of accurate air rifles.

http://www.glbarnes.com/accuracy.html

Make & Weld-on a trigger

Assemble Test Rifle

Gun To Target Picture - 32 Feet

Setup of Rifle & Scuba Tank

1st Target Results - 32 Feet

2nd Target Results - 42 feet

H&N 6.35mm/.250 Pellets

H&N .250 Pellets - Target Results

H&N .250 Pellets
I got the idea of trying the H&N pellets I purchased. Due to them being .249 & .255
at the skirt in diameter, I sized them to .245 to fit this barrel. The first grouping
is not to bad with one "flyer". The second group seemed to open up more. The third
group, I have no idea what cause the "M" shape. I am still thinking that my scope isn't
mounted as well as it could be.

Test Rifle Page 1



www.airgundevelopment.com